Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Chemo Round 3 Day 9

Today has been a fairly quiet day. I was not able to go home. When I spoke to Dr. Lanzotti last night, he said he wanted me to stay in the hospital till my counts got back to normal even if I had no fever. My plan to go home and have the blood counts checked as an outpatient was not going to happen. I did get my room switched today to one of the bigger rooms and I am able to spread out and put up my family photos. That has helped.

I was surprised today as I did not need to get a transfusion. My hemoglobin is down only a little to 10.9. My platelet count only dropped from 31,000 to 29,000 so they will watch it at least another day. My white count was 1.2 yesterday and dropped to 0.7 today. I still have just over 500 neutrophils as well. I have not had any fevers or problems eating or swallowing yet but that took a while last time as well. For now, I am just eating, walking and trying to keep my spirits up.

A friend of mine called us yesterday to let us know his wife had a massive stroke and was on life support. She is about my age or a little younger, I think. He did not think it looked good but it was too soon to tell. She is about the same today. I feel sorry for him as he has had a bad year or two and this did not help. We are keeping them in our prayers. They too have five children and I think that was one of the things that brought us closer over the years. They also introduced us to some of our closes friends that have become adoptive grandparents to our children.

Teresa was up here today with me but she is awfully worn out. Her back was bothering her yesterday and I know she did not feel well today either. She went home early today to try and get the grocery shopping done and hopefully a little more rest. I feel bad that I am making it hard on her but I have no control over it. I wish I could do more for her. Hopefully, she will get a good night's sleep tonight and feel better tomorrow.

When I had my last round of chemotherapy it was 22 days in the hospital from start of treatment to going home and I went home a little early due to Christmas. This is only day 8 so I expect to be here another 2-3 weeks. God has a plan and I just need to sit back and enjoy the ride for now.

We have not heard anything else from St. Louis regarding the transplant yet but I did not expect to hear anything till later in the week. If they do not call by Friday, we will probably call them. I hope you all are staying warm and healthy. I pray that God continues to bless you and I thank you for your prayers.


No comments: