Sunday, October 21, 2007

Chemo Day2

Today has been a pretty good day. I tolerated the chemo from yesterday pretty well. My counts are holding so far and I have not had any nausea. I got my second dose today and all has been well so far! I was able to get a little work done this morning on my computer also.

Dr. Dolz, Dr. Hinchen and Dr. Russotto stopped by from Passavant hospital today to visit me. It was very nice to see them and nice of them to take time to come all the way over here to encourage my recovery. Dr. Scott also came up to see me after they left. He was a big encouragement for me from my first cancer so it was great to see him as well. John Green from my church was also by to send along his prayers as well. Dr. Malcolm Schulz also called me tonight. He was a surgeon that I worked well with at Passavant till he moved away about 5 years ago. It was great to here from him. I am still trying to talk him into coming back to Jacksonville! Maybe I can get a sympathy move now that I am sick! The Bears also managed to pull out their game with an exciting finish that I was able to watch today.
Tomorrow I get my last dose of one of the induction chemo drugs. I am using an incentive spirometer(a device to encourage deep breathing) and walking at least 8 times a day to try and decrease my risks of infection. My finger infection seems to be getting better also. I am trying to get to bed early enough to get a good night's sleep. Normally I am up pretty late but have been getting to bed before midnight here in the hospital and "sleeping in" till about 7:30 or 8:00 in the morning(at least as much as you can in a hospital where they have to wake you at night to see if you are still breathing and have a pulse and blood pressure).

I am gratified by all the good wishes I have gotten from friends and colleagues. My wife has been here most of every day( even though I keep trying to get her to stay home longer and get more rest so I don't have to worry about her) My sons have been very encouraging and my youngest has really stepped it up in helping out at home. I can't say enough about my daughter and son-in-law who helped set up this blog site and have been able to get copies of my TIVO recordings(TV shows on a DVR) up here for me to watch. And best of all they bring my grandson up to see me! that really cheers me up and keeps me excited about fighting this thing. All I can do is take it one day at a time and see what God has in store for me. Thanks to all of you who have taken time to pray for me, send me your best wishes and are interested enough to ask or read about me on this blog!


Anonymous said...

I for one fine this vacation totally unacceptable to me and my mother. As my new FATHER!! I should of been made aware of your vacation plans(like you really planned ahead for this)!!!lololo. I feel that this is a way out of seeing me in December and having our 60 day CUBS talk.lolol. You’re in our prayer and I know that this vacation will not get you down. You will beat this like the CUBS beat ST.Louis!!! God bless you and keep you in his arms throughout this vacation trip.
Danny D. (paramedic)

Unknown said...

Hello Dr. Fox!

All of us in the ER were really worried about you. We had heard you were sick, but there was no information. And then we found your blog. It was really great reading it. You have a big fan club in the ER. When we talk about "nice doctors," your name is one that always comes up. Everyone has been talking about you and hoping for the best for you. You are one of our favorites. Wendy and Susan were really happy to hear that you were feeling good. I gave them and others your blog address and they were all eager to read for themselves.

Hang in there. We miss you here and we are all thinking about you. by the way, your grand baby is really cute in the scrubs!

Michael E. Whitmore

Debbie McEvers said...

Dr Fox, I saw Dr Russotto this am and he told me the news. You have to know you are in my thoughts and prayers. I will still be off work for another 3 weeks probably, so will hope to hear you are doing better. Just think, we have birthdays in two months!! The big 54. I will keep updated on you web site. Trouble

Debbie McEvers said...

Dr Fox, I saw Dr Russotto this am and he gave me the news. I want you and your family to know you are in my thoughts and prayers. I have been off work, vacation and surgery for the past month and am behind on current events at PAH. I will be back in about 3 weeks and will continue to hope you are doing well. I will check this website for updates and maybe later this week will come for a short visit. If you need anything let me know. Remember, we have birthdays in a little over 2 months, well, mine IS 6 days before yours. Trouble

Unknown said...

Just wanted you to know that I am thinking of you frequently, praying for you and your family. I have been in a similar situation and if you need to bend an ear just give me a call. Get well soon we need you here. Also, thanks for letting us support you through this "vacation"!
Sincerely, Becky Currier